Friday 22 July 2011

An amazing lady.

My Granny is almost 94.  Last Friday night, she got out of bed to go to the toilet, tripped and broke her arm. 

She had surgery today and came through perfectly.  I'm not surprised though.  She is the strongest, most stubborn woman I know!


When I was 17, Mum and I were fighting a lot and I eventually moved out of home to live the high life (ha!).  Granny didn't approve of the way I was treating Mum (understandably) and she promptly stopped talking to me.  Now, when Granny stops talking to someone, she means it! She hasn't spoken to her Sister for over 30 years!  Our "not talking" stint lasted 9 years.  In 2003, I held her hand at her daughter's funeral, yet we still didn't talk.  So, what made us start talking again?  My first born, her first great grandchild.  The moment Granny lay eyes on Liam, the bond was formed, and I was back in the fold!

When Liam started talking, he christened Granny "Old Granny" so that he could tell the difference between my Mum, who is also Granny, and my Granny.  She loves this name and proudly tells everyone she comes across that that is what her great grandchildren call her.  Liam and "Old Granny" are great mates and have the most wonderful conversations on many things.  When Liam comes home from sleeping over at Aunty Mo's, who "Old Granny" lives with, he tells us all about what they talked about, usually it is about strangers and bad people!

Granny has led an amazing life.  I will tell you her story one day, once I have it all written down and correct.  If I started telling you now, I wouldn't do her justice.


I love my Granny.

1 comment: